Following last week’s post about the base chakra, I’m delving into the sacral chakra. This is the energy centre that angel card creator Doreen Virtue calls the "sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll chakra". Oh boy, this is going to get interesting...
Located just below your navel, the sacral chakra is the energy centre in your body concerned with pleasure, creativity, sexual expression and emotions. All the good stuff, in other words!
An imbalance in this chakra shows up for a lot of people, because it governs how you connect with others – which is a pretty fundamental aspect of the human experience. People with poor energy flow in the sacral chakra might be difficult to get close to – or at the other end of the scale, they could be needy and clingy in their relationships. In extreme situations they might battle addictions (and not just to drugs or alcohol; this could include addictions to food, sex , shopping or drama!).*
Emotional balance is a major component of this chakra. Remember that emotions are energy in motion (hence: e-motion), so the way they flow is significant. If emotions fester and stagnate that can result in an imbalance in your sacral chakra. The way to avoid that stagnancy? Learning how to let go... no biggie, then!
Having emotional balance means you don’t hold back with your emotions – which would make you cool and detached – but you’re not overruled by your emotions either. So you can be angry and express that, but you don’t project it onto others. Here’s what an emotional overreaction looks like: if you give someone at work a task to complete, instead of simply telling you that they’re too busy right now but they’ll deal with it tomorrow, they fly off the handle and, in a raised voice, start ranting about how busy they are and no one understands and everyone’s out to get them and and and... (yeah, you know the type).
(Image: the sacral chakra symbol)
While the base chakra’s biggest challenger is fear, the sacral chakra’s adversary is guilt. This shows up in people feeling saddled by obligations, because guilt is stopping them from setting healthy boundaries. Particularly highlighted is guilt around sexuality. For example, at a subconscious level there may be guilt about violating family or societal expectations, such as ‘living in sin’ (Catholic guilt, anyone?!). Even though you may be content with your choices, you may have an irrational guilt playing out in the background around operating outside family norms – particularly for women, who are still expected to be 'good girls'. Sounds weird, but sometimes our desire to conform and our desire to meet our own needs can cause internal conflict that we’re not even aware of.
Other guilt stuff that can result in a block with this chakra – people who’ve cheated on someone or deceived a partner in some way (perhaps by pretending you were still happy in a relationship but you really wanted to leave).
Sadly, because this chakra concerns sexuality, it is commonly out of balance in people who have been the victims of sexual crimes.
People who have a deficient energy flow in the sacral chakra might have some of these characteristics:
* emotionally distant, and very hard to form close connections with (they put up barriers)
* lack of passion in their lives (no hobbies, no creative expression)
* martyr mentality (this is all about feeling shackled by perceived obligations)
* dislike of being touched (related: low libido)
* tendency to destroy anything that offers them pleasure (i.e. relationships, household stability)
* irregular periods
People who have an excessive energy flow in the sacral chakra might demonstrate some of these qualities (I have worked with a lot of people who fit into this category):
* addictions (this includes people who are addicted to creating drama)
* tendency to blame others for their problems
* unable to be alone (always jumping from one relationship to the next)
* dependent on others (needy)
* mood swings
* heavy periods
* tendency to respond with an excess of emotion
By the way, you can be BOTH excessive and deficient at the same time (weird, I know).
Physically a sacral chakra imbalance can result in issues with the reproductive organs (no surprises there!), lower back, hips, and bladder and kidneys (these two operate in tandem, from a spiritual perspective).
Some ideas to rebalance the sacral chakra:
· Movement and flow are a major focus of this chakra, so exercise is important – particularly in a form that brings you pleasure (surfing, dancing, cycling etc).
· Yoga is recommended (because it includes so many hip openers).
· This chakra’s element is water, so make sure you drink lots of water and spend time around water (ocean, lakes etc) if you’re struggling with emotions.
· Creative expression will help a lot, so get going on any creative project that calls to you.
· Letting go is important, through whatever means you find helpful – counselling, some forgiveness work, NLP, affirmations around releasing old hurts etc. See my post about forgiveness here.
Phew – so that’s the sacral chakra. Coming up in a future post: the solar plexus chakra, which is all about power and control. Yikes!